Tuesday's bombshell merger between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf earned the seal of approval from arguably the game's top ambassador.
Jack Nicklaus told The Palm Beach Post that he agrees the merger is "good for the game of golf."
His comments come days after saying he doesn't even consider LIV players "part of the game anymore." But Tuesday was a new day for the sport and its direction.
"The last three years have been difficult for the game and the players," Nicklaus told the Post. "I spoke with PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan this morning. He seemed pleased with the arrangement that will once again bring together the best players in the world. I agree that this is good for the game of golf.
"I also appreciate the commissioner's comments about continuing the tradition of the Tour and the mission to support important charitable causes. I am certainly interested in seeing the details," Nicklaus added. "Jay indicated that this all will happen in 2024, so very soon the proof will be in the pudding. Whatever is best for the game of golf enjoys my full support."
Nicklaus said he was offered $100 million by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund to be the CEO of the upstart circuit, a post that eventually went to Greg Norman. Nicklaus said then that LIV "wasn't for me."
Just last week Nicklaus was asked about LIV players who weren't able to complete in The Memorial Tournament, his event, since they had jumped ship to the LIV series.
"I don't even consider those guys part of the game anymore," he said then. "I don't mean that in a nasty way. This is a PGA Tour event, and we have the best field we can possibly have for a PGA Tour event for those who are eligible to be here. The other guys made a choice of what they did and where they've gone and we don't even talk about it."
--Field Level Media